Dragaera

Spoiler thread on Brokedown Palace, need to know.

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Feb 7 09:25:07 PST 2006

Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
02/05/06 09:03 PM

Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: Spoiler thread on Brokedown Palace, need to know.

>"Taltos" means... well, see "Taltos (legend)" in the Wikipedia.  So
>since it can also mean "priest-magician", or "shaman", while calling
>oneself that is a bit self-inflating, it's nowhere near as incredibly
>important as Christ is to Christians.  And since Noish-pa is indeed a
>skilled witch, perhaps he called himself that as an honest
>self-appraisal.  Truth in advertising, as it were.  Heh.

One of my notions that has been building steam in my own mind is that
Noish-pa is actually Ambrus the Fat from Fenario.

(See http://dragaera.wikicities.com/wiki/Speculation:Ambrus_the_Fat for
justifications of this)

This could have put him in a unique position to have witnessed the events
of /Brokedown Palace/ (Who notices a servant lurking in the background of
important events?). Therefore; perhaps Noish-pa (not Cawti) is the actual
narrator of BP? Or maybe he collaborated with Cawti? Or just gave her
background information as she was writing it by herself?

The one knock against the "Noish-pa-as-exclusive-author-of-BP" theory is
that he probably wouldn't characterize the Demon Goddess the way it is
shown in the book. Of course, the fact that she is *always* called the
"Demon Goddess" in BP, and never by name is something that is very much
something Noish-pa *would* do. (Of course, other Fenarians are probably
the same way when referring to Her.)

Another thought that occurs--perhaps it was the banishment of the Demon
Goddess that prompted Noish-pa to leave Fenario in the first place?
This idea even seems fairly likely, given Noish-pa's reverence for Verra.

Majikjon