Dragaera

Dzur - Cover art question

Joy Jennifer Nicholson jjnichol at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 8 11:44:35 PST 2006

Is there a reason the author/publisher can't tell the artist something
like "a jhereg is a winged lizard, with 2 legs and 2 wings.  Vlad is a
mid-twenties male human with brown hair and a mustache."?

If the artist is just told to go draw a jhereg, how does he find out
what a jhereg looks like in the first place?