Dragaera

Speculations about Sethra and the Lavodes (Was RE: TEST)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Feb 15 10:17:00 PST 2006

Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
02/15/06 09:59 AM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
Re: Speculations about Sethra and the Lavodes (Was RE: TEST)

>That's not all we know. IIRC Paarfi comments at one point that,
>pre-Interregnum, mixed-breeds were more common because modern
>contraceptives weren't available. Given the developments in sorcery
>since the Interregnum, I'd call that evidence in favor of
>contraception being sorcerous in nature. It certainly implies that
>it's not simple biology at work.

There it is. Page 66 of /FHYA/ (trade paperback).
"If because of an excess of love, or an insufficiency of precaution in the
heat of a moment of passion, a child is born to lovers who cannot marry
because one or the other (or both!) were born into the wrong house..."

"Insufficiency of precaution" does strongly imply contraception of some
variety. Sorcery is not even hinted at here, however.

In any case, the rythm method is considered contraception by some. So we
don't know for sure.

Majikjon