Dragaera

Picking your fights

Mon Feb 20 13:07:23 PST 2006

On 2/19/06, Maria Manemann <Markleaf at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Some people claim that smart people pick the fights they can win and
> > letting the others slide.
>
>         I'm not sure I agree with that. I've always understood the phrase to
> mean not to fight the battles you know you can win but the ones that are
> important to win. Resources are limited, life is short, win the fights
> that matter to you.

Ah, but now we're into motivation and values.  Smart people pick the
fights they can win, earnest people enter fights where they feel they
must, foolish people fight out of habit, and a certain rare breed
fight because they love fighting.

To further belabor the point, for some, fighting is a bit like dying
because it has come to this, while for others, fighting is the essence
of life because that is how they feel truly alive.  There is so much
bundled up in this.

The brilliance of all this, of course, is that Steven has put the
emphaaaaasis on different sylaaables, not just two, but seventeen
different variants.

--
johne cook - wisconsin, usa