Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Mon Mar 13 10:26:55 PST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Scott Schultz wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be any reason to mention that Jamiss' reign
> "encompassed... the entirety of the reign of the House of the Vallista..."
> unless it's to distinguish it from other periods in which one emperor's
> reign did NOT encompass the entire reign of his House.

Did this not come up at the time?  Anyway, it's good evidence on the
multi-emperor side, but Paarfi isn't above tossing in a little more
info than strictly necessary.  And I still don't see any clear mechanism
for the emperor dying and his House remaining in power.  Well, of course
the Orb could decide - but in the case of the last emperor we know to have
died in office, there doesn't seem to have been any question of the
Phoenix retaining the throne.  And I suspect one can find plenty of
instances in the Texts of formulations like "The Athyra Empress of the
seventh cycle" and not a single "The third Athyra..." or "An Athyra".
Hence "translator's error" seems the best explanation for the cited
snippet - probably Paarfi was saying or meant to say that the
construction of the palace took up the entire reign.