Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited AND Adron's motives

Tue Mar 14 15:16:46 PST 2006

> > The real question is "Why would Aliera lie?" To impress
> Vlad? I hardly think
> > so. She's plenty proud enough of her heritage without
> having to dress it up
> > for a Jhereg/Easterner. Whatever Aliera thought of Adron's
> plans, she was
> > never ashamed of him or his actions.
>
> Begging the question every which way.

I don't understand this response. How is it begging the question? What do
you think "begging the question" means? Yes, considering that this list has
had days of discussion on this very phrase before, I'm seriously asking this
question.

> > I'm not sure how Paarfi could be considered anything like
> authoritative,
> > particularly in comparison to Adron's own daughter.
>
> See too many posts in the archives presenting the
> "authoritative Paarfi"
> view.

This is a quote from you, Phil, about Paarfi, from yesterday: " We know of
at least one error in _TPG_ which is "awfully significant" by comparison -
the business with the Captain and the conspiracy. There is a strong argument
for Paarfi being thoroughly sloppy and fallible - consider the historians
Ilen the Magian quotes."

So, which is he? Sloppy and fallible or the one true authoritative source of
independent historical fact? I can't see how you can have it both ways, just
as I don't see how you can dismiss Aliera as a prevaricator with no textev
to back up that assertion.