Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Tue Mar 14 15:43:55 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Shawn Burns wrote:

> > take over.
> > >
> > >That doesn't seem consistent with Morrolan or Aliera. Think
> > about how
> > >hard they tried to find a suitable Dragon heir replacement.
> > Why go to
> > >all of that trouble if you could simply resign after taking office?
> > >

> > Why do we go to all that trouble finding suitable Justices to
> > replace existing ones if they can simply resign after taking office?
> >

> I don't think the point of the post was to speculate that Aliera and
> Morrolan went to too much trouble to find a replacement who could resign
> (and thereby waste their effort); rather, why go to all that trouble if it
> were possible for Morrolan or Aliera to resign? That is, if it is possible
> for the Emperor to resign, then Morrolan and Aliera should not waste effort
> finding someone else to be the legitimate Heir, since they could just
> abdicate.
>
> But even though I think this is what the original question meant to ask, I
> don't think there is any inconsistency in supposing resignation to be
> possible AND knowing that Morrolan and Aliera tried to find another Heir.
> Maybe neither of them wanted to be Emperor even for a day, or a minute; so
> it is not just that they were worried they would be stuck with it forever,
> but that they were quite happy doing their own thing and didn't want any
> disruptions. This seems perfectly consistent to me. So maybe it is possible
> for the Emperor to resign.

I thought (not necessarily recalling correctly because I'm at work and
haven't read the cycle in a bit) that there was a line about no Dragon
wanting to be Emperor, but every Dragon wanting to be Warlord?  That it
was actually desirable for a Dragon to be #2 rather than #1 on the social
pecking order?

Also, resigning from a post which you have inherited can be interpreted as
a dishonor.  Dragons may view being Emperor as a responsibility that they
will fulfill if they have to - they just don't necessarily want it.

I don't think this dictates conclusively one way or the other if it is
considered dishonorable for any Emperor to abdicate.  I have a feeling
that anything that would result in a dishonorable resignation would be
enough to change the cycle, but I don't think there's enough information
to judge for certain.

Toby Seltsam		              | rogue at shore.net