Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Tue Mar 14 13:27:22 PST 2006

We should consider a point about the end of _FHYA_ I was neglecting:
the deal to cover Tortaalik's abdication did not envisage a substitute
Phoenix.  As best I recall, there was no particular need for a Dragon
emperor at the time, just a competent one.  Yet the options discussed
by Aerich and Adron do not include setting a reasonable Phoenix on the
throne.

I'd say the deepest point of the book - the tragedy of Adron forced to
take the throne vs the ambition of Adron recklessly taking the throne -
is premised on the single-e theory.

Also note that it is the fate of [non-great-Cycle] Phoenix emperors to
grow decadent and be replaced by Dragon emperors, no mention of reasoned
substitutes.  I think this view is present in the Vladiad, ditto no
mention.