Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Tue Mar 14 22:02:07 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 Gaertk at aol.com wrote:

> Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> writes:
>
> >The deal in particular was an affront on its face - a more palatable
> >would likely have been considered.  If by Aerich if no one else.
>
> Is this the scene where Aerich calls the message "a calculated
> insult"?

You are maybe referring to page 279/80 where T reads a letter
from Adron on the subject of the search of Aliera's quarters
and Paarfi calls the insult calculated.

> >> He did not believe that another Phoenix would improve matters any.
> >
> >Is there any reason but a view of him as entirely overtaken
> >by ambition to think that?
>
> It wasn't ambition (he's offering to abdicate after all).  He felt
> that the current situation was *proof* the Cycle had turned.

Well, I think he thinks that because there's no alternative but
to take the throne - in a multi-emperor view, a bad situation
might well be just a sign to chuck the idiot in charge.  Aerich
would say so, then Adron would make your argument, etc. etc.