Dragaera

The Curse of the D...-word

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:12:03 PST 2006

As some of you may already know, in the mists of the distant past, the
plan for the naming scheme of the various volumes of /The Viscount of
Adrilankha/ was as follows:

/The Paths of the Dead/
/The Lord of Castle Black/
/The Enchantress of Dzur Mountain/

Volumes I and II were indeed published with their names as planned,
but the third book was compelled to have its name altered and
transformed, by forces far beyond its control, into /Sethra Lavode/.

The reason for this change was an arcane and unusual one, involving a
suggestion made by a great and mysterious wizard of words and names,
whose initials are PNH [1].

But that was in the past.

Today, on an otherwise ordinary afternoon, I chanced to check the
website of Glorious Mount... that is, Tor Books, and Lo!  They have
verily updated their publishing schedule through December of 2006.
Eager to see with my own eyes the notification of the scheduling of
/Dzur/, I scrolled down to August 2006, and beheld...  that under /Tor
hardcovers/ for that month, there is no book of that title to be
found.

There *is* a book for August 2006 by the noble Steven Brust, a little
further down, under /Tor mass market/ (for those who are unaware,
"mass market" means "standard-size paperback"): DRAGON

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone, somewhere, while compiling
the list, looked at the word "DZUR", and said to gyaself: "That can't
be right, I can't even *say* that", and put in "DRAGON" instead,
because they could spell (and pronounce) that.

Well.

On the bright side, they do also say that they will finally be
republishing /Brokedown Palace/.

   http://www.tor.com/schedule.html