Dragaera

[OT]Re: Sword Jokes.

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon May 15 09:32:39 PDT 2006

On 10:14 AM Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>  I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're trying to make, here.
>
>  ALL of these jokes, even Steve's, would be unfunny without the proper
>  context of Dragaera. (Yendi: One to sharpen the sword and one to confuse
>  the issue? Huh? What's a Yendi? Why is that funny? Dzur: One to sharpen
>  the sword, three to make it worthwhile. Huh? Why would someone need
>  three people to fight against?)

There are two ways to do these jokes:

1.   "In" jokes that work with those of us who have read all of his works.
2.  Jokes that enlighten those who have just started reading.

While within this newsgroup, option #1 works, on the web site, #2 is
better.   Some jokes can be both #1 & #2.

And Steve is much more likely to put in his own jokes when it advances
the plot (enlightenment - or at least reminding us of a characteristic
or contrast or prejudice at a particular moment in the plot).

Hmmm.   How about a couple of prejudiced jokes - where the race of the
person telling the joke is important?   Don't pick a house picked on by
all, so much as rival houses.