Dragaera

Multi-jointed fingers (and houses)

Fri Jun 16 11:28:34 PDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> On 6/15/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> [ Regarding the Jhereg Baronetcy (as opposed to the Imperial Countship
> later received) applying only to Vlad's father and Vlad ]
>

> > Relative ease of purchase of title (Vlad's father not being rich).  Lack
> > of the Jhereg being all Easterner, as indicated by Vlad having met many
> > Jhereg and only one other Easterner among them, and people being surprised
> > to see him in House colors.  All indications being that Easterners are
> > fruitful and multiply.  The simplest consequence of the above being
> > lots of Eastern citizens, then nothing but.
> >

> I don't buy the part about "Easterner citizens multiplying until they
> take over the House" [...]

Perhpas I'll reconsider.  But I can well imagine the Demon going to the
council and saying, "Hey, we can milk the barbarians for a few orbs by
selling them titles, wanna let me do the distasteful work?" and the
council responding, "Sure, just don't let it pass down to their future
norska-warrens of descendents or else we'll have the Empire down on us,
esp. those damned Lyorn."  And the Demon saying, "Oh of course, I'll
get the next generation with a re-up fee.  Maybe we can make our
Easterner wholesalers join the business if they want to keep us happy."
(Relatedly, do we know anything about Easterners working on the edges
of the Jhereg?)

The primogeniture rule suggested above also works for me.

Related - I seem to recall that Savn (or his family) do small spells
as part of their daily life - casting light for evening harvesting,
for example.  Do we see him (them) make use of psionic contact?
I'm wondering how much of a selection advantage having a link gives.