Dragaera

Lyorn Records needs help!

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Jun 28 11:11:09 PDT 2006

"Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
06/28/06 10:37 AM

"Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: Lyorn Records needs help!

>If few people are modifying the wiki version, there may be little
>justification for it to remain a wiki, but that doesn't mean it can't
>be a static web page, does it? Cannot the Lyorn Records be exported? I

Sure, if you've got someone to host it. I, however, do not have the space
(nor the time) to accomplish this for the entire Wiki. (Over 800 articles,
currently.)

If things get too grim, I'd certainly try to salvage the best bits (The
Dramatis Personae, the Plot Summaries, and some of the general information
articles are quite detailed) but the real benefit of most of this stuff is
the linkability between articles, and this would be lost unless the whole
thing is maintained as a wiki.

Certainly, there are wiki-engines out there that a fan could set up to
maintain the site as a wiki on a different server, but this is getting
into areas where I have no personal expertise, and the idea of migrating
this much information to a new server gives me separate migranes behind
each eyeball.

>admit, I've enjoyed perusing the page once or twice in the past, but
>I've never had a reason to edit anything. (In point of fact, I've
>never learned how to edit wikis, either, though I presume it's fairly
>simple.)

Editing a wiki article is very simple, and pretty inuitive. You click the
edit tab, and your browser opens to a form-based entry system, with a
button at the bottom to submit the update when finished. Learning the
proper formatting to make links and apply categories and such is somewhat
harder (not much, really), but the vast majority of articles can be edited
as plain text, anyway. Someone like me can always come along later and
linkify things where appropriate, anyway.

>However, if frequent edits are the only way to save the page, period,
>of course we'll edit it.

Well, it's certainly the simplest of the alternatives, and the most likely
to succeed.

In any case, I suspect that there are a lot more folks out there that
*read* the wiki than edit it, so it's probably just a matter of getting
these folks to let their voice be heard.

Majikjon