Readalong

[DbS] TPG:ch3-ch5

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Wed Jun 26 17:42:09 PDT 2002

In a message dated Tue, 25 Jun 2002 5:50:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, Thomas Yan <tyan at twcny.rr.com> writes:

> ** pp25-37. ch3
>
> p25: the Nut and Raisin emblem of the grocer {unclear:
>     all grocers use this emblem vs this is the only
>     grocer nearby}

I'm also curious just how standardised these symbols are; do
they vary much between regions?  Note also the sword sign
Aerich notices later, the Painted Sign later this book, and
the closed sign in _Orca_ (am I the only one frightened by
the thought of illiterate folks using a commecial bank?).

> p26: they spot Pel, "The small fellow"

I never noticed before that Pel was short; short
protaganists are rare in SF.

> p28: Pel reads extra, upsetting meaning into
>     -"we're here for the same reason you are"-

Heh.  I think its safe to say Pel isn't looking for glory as
a guardsman.

> p32: "Cavalier Pel" {double meanings? offhand?
>        aristrocratic?

Sounds like a generic title meaning "landless noble".  Not
sure if its a translation of "knight" or not ("knight" is
used in _Teckla_).

> p47: "high wrought iron" {'i' in "high" has faint extra
>     dots in my copy}

Not in my copy (third printing mass market).  Were you the
one who was missing a few letters in _Phoenix_?

--KG