Dragaera

Question about "Replying"

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Jun 13 12:29:50 PDT 2002

Starshadw at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:34:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dd-b at dd-b.net writes:
>
> > I hit "Followup" and then edit out the individual
> > addresses, myself.
>
> That's what I've been doing, but quite a few people forget to do this, and so I'm getting at least 60-75% of the messages twice. :)  I love lots of messages, but I don't like duplicated messages - and I don't like to just assume it's a duplcation and delete it without opening because sometimes you reply to the same subject more than once, so I always have to open every message.
>
> Another thing that's interesting is I find I'm often getting replies before I get the original message. :)

Since the direct reply will go from the sender's mail server to your
mail server, whereas a message in the list has to go through my mail
server and my *list* mail server before it reaches your mail server,
and since my list mail server is almost by definition somewhat busy
when a message in one of the lists has just come through, I'm not
*that* surprised.  Plus it can happen just at random -- if one server
fails to connect to another server for whatever reason, it sets a
retry time and forgets about it for a while, so two messages taking
different paths can very easily come out in either order.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net