Dragaera

How did you discover ... ?

Thu Jun 13 18:37:09 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:07:05PM -0700, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> wrote:
> In a message dated Thu, 13 Jun 2002  6:42:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tyan at twcny.rr.com (Thomas Yan) writes:
> > I'm curious.  How did you discover Steve's books, and how
> > did you learn of this mailing list?
> I discovered Steve's novels long enough ago that I don't really remember
> how.  I was all of 23 at the time, and I assume I picked up a copy of
> Jhereg from the local Waldenbooks in Nacogdoches, TX, cesspit of the
> universe.  To know that much I had to check the copyright date in that
> copy of Jhereg; it was the second printing, in 1983.  At that point, I
> didn't yet know about the ARPAnet (which is what it _was_ then) and Usenet
> was just getting off the ground itself.  I discovered both about a year
> later.

I don't recall exactly how I found Brust.  I remember finding,
reading, and liking Jhereg at some point congruent to my
presence on Fidonet.  From a used bookstore at the time, being
as I was poor.  I liked Jhereg enough to notice Brust on a
Fidonet echo and send a fan letter.  If memory serves, I got back
a list of other books to look for, which is why I was able to
pick up Cowboy Feng's and To Reign in Hell before it was hard.
I believe I found Yendi at the same used bookstore (a second trip
after Jhereg), got Phoenix new, and eventually backfilled Teckla
and Taltos.

It made for an interesting reading order..

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)