Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Wed Aug 14 23:28:22 PDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:40:03PM -0700, Steven Brust wrote:
> At 12:20 AM 8/15/2002 -0500, Kat wrote:
>
> >Language is one of the ways in which we think. Another that comes to mind
> >is
> >spatial

> I'm not certain what it means to think spatially.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can describe it properly... it's like having a
3-dimensional modelling program in one's head. It isn't just working with
visual symbols (i.e., a visual language), it's having a representation of an
object, or several objects within a space, and being able to manipulate that
representation in the same way one might physically manipulate the objects
themselves. For me, at least, there is no language involved.

Two other examples of which I can produce - when I'm driving, I'm processing
what's going on around me in a purely spatial sense, noting the relative
speeds of as many vehicles as possible in my general vicinity, changes in
their direction, etc. In this case there almost isn't an internal
representation, just external sensory input to which I respond in such a
manner that my vehicle doesn't end up in a space that's already occupied or
will imminently be occupied by someone else.

The second is in a martial art, aikido in my case. Processing all of the
factors that make up a person's stability and balance, and pinpointing the
vector(s) along which sufficient applied force will change that balance in a
desired manner, is entirely non-lingual for me.

Hope that helps.

> When I drum, I don't think, "Hit the bass, hit the snare, keep
> the ride going..." I am thinking in drum terms, which don't directly
> translate into language.  Yet, the more I learn, the more skill I develop
> in mentally working with those symbols.  As I "speak the language" better,
> I drum better.

Being a percussionist, I know *exactly* what you're talking about. ;)

Tsarren