Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Aug 15 10:11:08 PDT 2002

"Mark Tiller" <mtiller at ntlworld.com> writes:

> >Unfortunately I'm not sure I can describe it properly... it's like
> having a 3-dimensional modelling program in one's head. >It isn't just
> working with visual symbols (i.e., a visual language), it's having a
> representation of an object, or several >objects within a space, and
> being able to manipulate that representation in the same way one might
> physically manipulate >the objects themselves. For me, at least, there
> is no language involved.
>
> I know exactly what you're talking about, I do it all the time.
>
> I'm going to have to disagree with Steven, Language is NOT how we think,
> it's how we communicate.  We think at the subconcious level in the
> Pictures, Sounds and Feelings at least that's how memory is organised.
> We may CHOOSE at the concious level to verbalise our thoughts, it's good
> if we are trying to follow a logic chain. But thinking in pictures is
> much faster as in a picture's worth a thousand words.

Sure, maybe a picture is worth 1000 words.  But...

1.   Only the thousand words that describe *that picture*.

2.   It takes about 30k of bandwidth to deliver that 6k worth of
     content :-).

(I say this as a photographer, most of shose bandwidth is expended
serving pictures, often at more than 30k each....)

> P.S. Kat, the ability you describe is regarded as a prerequisite for
> being a good computer programmer...or at least for findig it easy.

I'm a counterexample.  To me "non-verbal thought" is an oxymoron.
Writing badly is to me a clear sign of thinking unclearly.  And so
forth.  (Professional software developer since I was 15 years old, in
1969).

I also do reasonably well taking things apart and putting them
together, for that matter.  I think it's why I can often give *useful
instructions* about this stuff to other people.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net