Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Thu Aug 15 20:14:42 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Steven Brust wrote:

#At 04:17 PM 8/15/2002 -0400, Mark A Mandel wrote:

#>#shorter).  And the older, more useful sense of, "with a hopeful attitude"
#>#is now difficult to say.

No, it isn't. Almost any sentence you would have said before in which
"hopefully" meant 'with a hopeful attitude', you can still say without
ambiguity. Go ahead, try it. (I said this upthread, but not so simply.)

	  The change has pretty much happened, but I cannot
#>#imagine how it could be construed as improving the language.

#>Ah, you don't like imprecision? You must be very unhappy with English,
#>which, unlike German, fails to force its speakers to distinguish a male
#>friend (Freund) from a female one (Freundin) and an intimate "you" (du)
#>from a polite one (Sie)... let alone Hebrew, which distinguishes male
#>"you" (atah) from female "you" (at). --- Oh, but German *does* have a
#>word that means just what the newer use of "hopefully" covers:
#>hoeffentlich.
#
#I've already answered the latter--no it doesn't.  As to the former, well,
#yes, I like precision.  And the problem with this is...?

That, as someone else has said, we don't always want to be perfectly
precise. English-speakers sometimes are dismayed at not being able to be
vague in German or Spanish about the sex of the "friend" they went out
drinking with. Etc.

-- Mark M.