Dragaera

Titles, and the Warlord

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Sep 29 12:08:27 PDT 2002

Since I've re-read stuff recently:

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 Gaertk at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated Sun, 8 Sep 2002 5:01:08 AM Eastern
>Standard Time, David Silberstein <davids at kithrup.com> writes:
>
>[Morrolan, Aliera, and Duchy Eastmanswatch]

[Some thoughts on whether or not Aliera has inherited the Duchy of
Eastmanswatch]

>I do think its likely that Aliera got her county back (what
>was called? Limterick?).

Per FHYA, "Limterak".

>> I am still uncertain whether or not he is Marquis of the
>> Pepperfields, since that title & associated lands is
>> controlled by the Crown.

>Was.  In FHYA, Adron is referred to as Baron of Pepperfields;
>this implies (to me) that the area is no longer a special case.

Yes, I see that now.  I'm pretty sure Morrolan (or Aliera?) is
Baron of Pepperfields, inherited from Adron.

Another thought:  You know, what if Sethra the Younger's plan for
conquering the East meant the lands *other* than Fenario?  I am
uncertain of the status of the treaty, but relations do seem fairly
peaceful between Fenario & Faerie in BP, and even in Vlad's time as
well.

Of course, that's a mere handful of decades.  Perhaps she's still
pissed off about some invasions from hundreds of years earlier...

>> However, since Morrolan was instrumental in aiding the
>> Crown in the first place, I suspect the issue of whether
>> they should go to anyone else never even came up.
>
>Agreed; this is also the reason why I believe Khaavren is the
>current Warlord.

After re-reading ORCA, I can't believe this is possible.  Several
times, both Vlad and Kiera refer to Khaavren, the Warlord & the
Empress in one sentence.  In fact, at one point, Vlad (talking to
Timmer) says "I'm pretty sure the Warlord or the Empress or both were
involved in sending your group in, because if it was just Khaavren,
Shortisle would probably have had him killed."

If it was just one time, it might have been a typo, or reference to
a dual role, but there's other examples as well where it only makes
sense if they're both referring to 3 different people.

I think the only thing we can get from ORCA is that the Warlord is
male, since, while trying to work out who Loftis works for, Kiera
can only eliminate Indus based on the masculine circumlocutions.