Dragaera

The Religion Debate

Sat Nov 30 05:00:33 PST 2002

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "Gametech" <voltronalpha at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Religions :
>>
>> 1 aBelief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers
>> regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
>>    bA personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief
>> and worship.
>> 2 The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
>> 3 A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a
>> spiritual leader.
>> 4 A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious
>> devotion.
>>
>> I'd use example 4 to best describe the broad scope of religions,
>> which IN *no* way asserts the existence of a non-material
>> world and I'd do so because some religions do not assert the
>> supernatural, for benefit below is zeal and conscientious.
>
> This definition exists to cover phrases like "a religious devotion to
> fine wine", and has nothing to do with the sort of religion we're
> discussing.

err wouldn't that make the word like an adjective then? I think purely
you've decided that anything that interferes with your ability to believe
religion means only what you think it means is irrelevant

It HAS EVERYTHING to do with the *kind* of religion I'm discussing, sorry if
I like a duller knife to describe religion than you do.