Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

Thu Dec 12 22:52:07 PST 2002

Scott Ingram wrote:
> [...]

I can't speak for Gametech, but in some cases its not a bad idea. I can
think of worse things that my tax dollars are/have been already spent
on. Hell it happens in australia, I even know and own a couple of
fantasy book that recieved government funding :)

>>Setting the term of the legally granted monopoly is always tricky.  I
>>feel that the current copyright terms are grossly excessive.  I
>>thought life + 50 was too long.  You can argue for a long time about
>>what the "right" term for copyright on a book is (and it's not
>>necessarily the same as the right time for a movie, a song, a
>>recording of a performance of a song, or any other type of work).
>

> Why do you believe life + 50 is excessive? The only reason I can see that
> being excessive is in an effort to avoid inadvertant plagiarism.  I believe
> Spider Robinson wrote a short story proposing that there were a limited
> number of pleasant melodies out there and that copyright was crippling human
> creativity. One such case of inadvertant plagiarism is George Harrison's "My
> Sweet Lord" vs the Chifton's "He's so fine". But even those two songs were
> only 8 years apart, and I gotta believe that you think 8 years is
> insufficient protection.

Yeah but don't they keep getting larger?

>>But no point arguing how long it should be until there's some general
>>agreement that some sort of intellectual property protection is necessary.
>

> Perhaps in a communist society... everything would belong to the state
> anyway...
> Forget about making enough to move out to Vegas tho.

Or an anarchistic one, don't forget the anarchists.

Andrew.