Dragaera

Amorphia

Wed Dec 18 10:20:41 PST 2002

Okay, this is going to be one of the all-time most pathetic complaints about
a series ever, but I wonder if anyone else is a little put off by the fact
that Brust has introduced the term amorphia into the stories?

For me, it isn't that he has a name for the raw stuff of chaos.  In fact,
one of the things that I loved about _To Reign in Hell_ were the terms
cocastrum and illiaster which represented the essence of chaos and order,
respectively.  Rather, it seems jarring that, all this time, the characters
have been using the plain term "chaos" to describe the Seas of Chaos
(greater and lesser) as well as the manipulation of chaos to perform Elder
Sorcery.

The sudden introduction of the term "amorphia", especially when used in
reference to such things as "The Lesser Sea of Amorphia" seems jarring.
Every time I see it, now, I can't help but to wonder why no one, especially
such experts in the matter as Aleira and Morollan, ever referred to it
before Issola.  It's like someone did a universal search and replace for the
lexography of Dragaera.

Okay, I already admitted it -- this *is* a petty damned complaint.  :-)