Dragaera

Two words about two letters etc.

Thu Jan 23 16:14:48 PST 2003

The Serioli seem like remarkably reasonable people, in addition to their
engineering skills - if they weren't ethnically cleansed, then I guess
they decided they didn't need all those plains and coasts since caves are
so much more comfy.  Usually in fantasy Dwarves (anyway the one Vlad
meets is shorter than him) are truculent - presumably fantasy-authorial
bias against tech...

More seriously, I think I was arguing for Serioli tech here, and asserting
that the know-how to build Spellbreaker, Blackwand, Pathfinder, etc. etc.
would make the Serioli serious adversaries of the pre-interregnum Empire,
esp. given the arms-race condition of the confrontation, and likely to
undergo an industrial-revolution-type information explosion.  I don't see
the (user-controlled?) soul-destroying nature of the weapons being
relevant to my argument given the military value of their other features.
OTOH perhaps trellanstone is needed for Great Weapon production, or
there's a Tolkienesque only-so-and-so could build the Silmarils.
But if one wants to argue within Brust's framework here for why the
Serioli got wiped out, I think one would have to suspect the gods
(or the Cycle) played a leading role in the "cleansing".

- Philip