Dragaera

Concerning Errata

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Wed Feb 5 19:08:39 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Steven Brust wrote:

>At 06:10 PM 2/4/2003 -0800, David Silberstein wrote:
>>

>>    pg. 35, and everwhere else it appears: "Sötétcsilleg"
>>    ("Dark Star"). All of my researches indicate that "star",
>>    in Hungarian, is properly spelled "csillag", not "csilleg".
>>    Note that this also occurs in "Issola", both hardback and
>>    paperback editions.
>
>I might have screwed that up, but I was shooting for a straight
>translation of dark star.  I'm too lazy to go look it up now.
>
>>http://consulting.medios.fi/dictionary/?language=en&search=star

To corroborate my above assertion, here is some furthur research I
have done (I can be exceedingly thorough when it comes to research):

Besides the above website, there is another nice English-Hungarian,
Hungarian-English web dictionary:

   http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian

   http://dict.sztaki.hu/dict_search.php?L=ENG&W=star

Google is hardly authoratative, but there is only one hit for
"csilleg", and 54,500 hits for "csillag".

And finally, I have a snippet of a song file (79k, since it's just the
first 5 seconds) called "Ej, csillag, csillag", from Muzsikás & Márta
Sebestyén [1]:

   http://www.kithrup.com/~davids/Ej,_csillag,_csillag.mp3

I'm pretty sure it's "csillag".

I wondered in RASFW whether the spelling of the word might change as a
result of grammatical modification, and was told the following (I
don't know if it's authoratative, but it strongly suggests to me, at
least, that the initial "Sötét" would not change the ending of
"csillag"):

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.LNX.4.21.0108240000121.26949-100000@titania.math.ukans.edu

 Fred Galvin (galvin (at) math.ukans.edu) wrote:

 > Must be a typo. "Csillag" is the basic word ("nominative"), and all
 > other forms are obtained by adding suffixes: "csillagok" = "stars",
 > "csillagom" = "my star", etc.

[1] Or Muszikas & Marta Sebestyen, in case the accents don't show
    up.  See also:

    http://www.hungaria.org/lists/folklor/muzsikas/

    http://www.multikulti.se/rekcd/europe/central/star.html

http://www.worldmusicportal.com/Artists/European/Hungary/marta_sebestyen.htm