Dragaera

The Sun...

Mon Mar 3 18:20:34 PST 2003

>> Hi, could someone post an appreciation of this book?  I read it without
>> getting anything out of it (well, the fairy tale aspect was sort of
>> interesting) and gave it to a friend who paints, figuring he might be able
>> to enjoy it.  In particular the scene about politics in art annoyed me,
>> and I was never much interested in the Monster.  Maybe I just need to be
>> proselytized.
>Same here. I got the feeling it was valuable for Brust to write, but I didn't
>really feel a connection to the ideas the book was trying to get across --
>my notions about art, especially political art, are rather different. I dug
>the heck out of the fairy tale, tho.

I am not an artist or musician of any kind.  I mean, I'm a fair hand at
copying...cross-stitch and rather pitiful calligraphy and costuming from a
patttern and things like that.  The only instrument I can play is the
stereo.  This book, more than any other, makes me wish I could draw or
paint or play music.  It inspires a certain kind of creative mood in me
that I have not come across anywhere else.  It's one of those books that I
bring out when I am down or just in a contemplative mood.

Back to lurking now.

Emily