Dragaera

Elric (was Lord of Castle Black is up at Amazon)

Sun May 25 13:10:54 PDT 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Steven Brust wrote:

> At 09:45 AM 5/25/2003 -0500, Ryan wrote:

> You can think of the Vlad books this way:
> A world created in honor of Fritz Leiber
> Fantasy tropes created in honor of Michael Moorcock
> A narrative style in honor of Dashiel Hammet
> A general aesthetic in honor of Roger Zelazny

I get/got Zelazny, Moorcock (though I'd prefer more Warhound and the
World's Pain than Stormbringer, or maybe some Gloriana re the court),
Hammett (though I totally missed the following, from the opening of The
Maltese Falcon:

	Sam Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting v under
	the more flexible v of his mouth.  His yellow-grey eyes were
	horizontal.  The v motif was picked up again by thickish brows
	rising outward from twin creases above a hooked nose, and his pale
	brown hair grew down--from high flat temples--in a point on his
	forehead. He looked rather pleasantly like a blond satan.

), but though I've read all the Fafhrd (sp?) and the Grey Mouser (ok,
twenty years ago) stories I don't get Fritz Leiber.  Hmm, Gonna Roll the
Bones for gambling?  Nope.

p.s. Sam Spade is "quite six feet tall" - guess Hammett's editor didn't
think "quite seven feet tall" would go over well.