Dragaera

Book of Athyra

Tue Jun 3 08:05:35 PDT 2003

> > Which just goes to show again that tastes vary. I enjoyed seeing Vlad
> > through Savn's eyes and mind. We'd never seen Vlad from anyone else's
> > point of view before (unless you count Kelly, Paresh, et
> > al.'s reactions
> > to him, as reported by Vlad himself), and this POV was very different
> > from Vlad's and those of anyone else who'd met him.
>
> Additionally, I think it helps dodge the trap that a series to an author,
> where the books starting becoming clones of previous books...
>
> I personally enjoy the fact that most of the books that he's written is
> "presented" (is that the right word?) in a different way.  Whether it is
> telling the story through an unexpected set of eyes (Orca,
> Athyra, Agyar) or
> the non-linear storytelling (Dragon), it keeps the stories from
> simply being
> "old hat" as it were. :)

Someone once argued the opinion that if you are comfortable reading
a piece of material, then you are not learning anything.

If you proceed into a work, attempting to enjoy it as the author has
written it, then you may not be beyond hope. A flexible mind is a
thing of beauty. People who are afraid to think from a different
direction might as well just start mooing.

In my opinion, this is why an "acquired taste" is more likely to be
a sophisticated one, especially if you did not entirely agree with it
before you started to consider it.

"I have a loaded soapbox right here, and I'm NOT afraid to use it."