Dragaera

Book of Athyra

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 14:29:38 PDT 2003

"Warlord" <warlord at dragon.com> writes:

> Someone once argued the opinion that if you are comfortable
> reading a piece of material, then you are not learning
> anything.

I have to disagree.  While it may take effort to fully grasp
the concepts and work out the consequnces, understanding what
the author is trying to say (ie, actually reading) should be
effortless.  Look at the non-fiction of Asimov or Martin
Gardner's essays; simple, clear, very easy to understand,
even when discussing relativity or four-dimensional
topologies.

> In my opinion, this is why an "acquired taste" is more
> likely to be a sophisticated one, especially if you did not
> entirely agree with it before you started to consider it.

If I have to "acquire a taste" for something to be considered
sophisticated, then count me out.

--KG