Dragaera

Thoughts about Piro and Krytaan....

Alexander Kay alexx at panix.com
Wed Nov 19 14:19:09 PST 2003

> Jose wrote:
> > Chris Olson - SunPS wrote:
> >
> > >Which came first, the Cycle or the Gods?  What about the Empire?
> > >

> > I suspect the gods came first, unless the Cycle included the other 14
> > tribes and could drop them from its face as they disappeared. But given
> > that the Cycle is a representation of who is in charge of the Empire,
> > and the Empire didn't exist until after some of the gods rebelled, I
> > think it's safe to assume that they came first.
>
> Very well, I concede that the Cycle came after the Gods.
> (Given the timeline, I suspected as much.)
>
> That doesn't explain why the Gods seem to be somewhat beholden
> to the Cycle.  Wouldn't they have been its creator?  I suppose
> even the creators might have to answer to it, but given their
> nature (at least some of them) I would have suspected them of
> just making alterations where needed.  They did it with the
> Orb, and the Cycle is in the Paths with them.

Quoting my own quote from the Timeline:
  The Cycle "created"???  Barlen asserts that "it is part of the
fundamental nature of the universe" (PD 193).

I should note that this assertion has an even larger number of unreliable
narrators than is common: Brust translating Paarfi relating a conversation
that is theoretical between powerful, yet known-to-be-fallible Gods.
Apply salt liberally.

Alexx

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx at carolingiaSPAMBL@CK.org                http://www.panix.com/~alexx
"His revolver slid noisily across the floor and stopped abruptly
 (like intercourse when the woman's husband comes home early) and a
 pregnant silence ensued (also rather like the early husband thing.)"
	     -- from "The Return of Phil Noir" by Minstrel