Dragaera

Book on Tape...

Matthew Jennings attjen at gwu.edu
Fri Nov 21 13:30:38 PST 2003

> Because of the amount of driving I do, I've listened to many a
> book on tape--
> and love them.  (Well, if they're unabbridged, that is.  I can't
> stand it when they tear up a writer's work.:)

I hate that too. I don't bother if it's abridged.

> I haven't seen American Gods, is it on CD?  I'll have to order
> that one....  Any others you can suggest?  Gaiman has also produced
> two of his short stories on CD in "Radio play" fashion that I
> recommend to anyone who enjoys his work.  The two stories are "Murder
> Mysteries" and "Snow White Apple" (I'm away from the CD and books,
> and am not positive of the name of the second).  Both are excellent.

American Gods was done by Recorded Books. (recordedbooks.com) Paddy Doyle's Star Called Henry was enjoyable, if you like him (The Commitments, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, etc), and the O'Brian was good.  I've been doing a pretty wide variety, but unfortunately some of my recent ones have been pretty so-so.  Unfortunately many of my favorite authors (Brust, Capek, Taibo, etc) aren't on books-on-tape.

Maybe you could give me some suggestions?

Matt

(Hmmm... I've just noticed that the spell check on my e-mail does weird things to word wrap.  I'll try and correct that.)