Dragaera

Steve's Web Log

Sat Jan 10 14:00:05 PST 2004

Americans are fat! And while it appears that each week there are new diets
and new fingers eager to point blame towards restaurants, food products or
the Internet. It’s important for us to rememb er that nutrition is a
relatively new science. New research developments change the conventional
wisdom, and can force the food industry to adjust their processing
techniques or ingredients. The truth is that there are certain ingredients
that are being used in our everyday foods that may well be culpable in the
‘fat war.’

One such ingredient that appears to be adding more inches to our waistline
than is necessary is high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is processed from hydrolyzed corn starch (so
it’s not completely natural) and contains a high level of fructose (which is
naturally occurring in fruits and honey) and a simple sugar carbohydrate,
just like sucrose. It is about 75% sweeter than sucrose, less expensiv e
than sugar, and mixes well in many foods. Food manufacturers (especially
soda manufacturers) began using HFCS widely in the early 1970s to save
money, and it was thought of as a revolutionary advance in food science
because of its stability and usefullness in a variety of foods.

According to the Corn Refiners Association, HFCS is made up of about 50%
fuctose and 50% dextrose, which they say is about the same composition of
table sugar or sucrose. HFCS 42 contains 42% fructose (This product is used
primarily by food processors of canned goods, baking and ice cream products)
and HFCS 55 contains 55% fructose (and is used primarily by the soft drink
industry).

While many reports show that Americans consumption of white refined sugar
has dropped over the past 20 years, it is mostly a result of the switch by
food companies to HFCS, which according to USDA figures shows an increased
consumption by 250% over the last 15 years. Estimates are that we consume
about 9% of our daily calories in the form of fructose.

So why is High Fructose Corn Syrup being blamed? The problem appears to be
the fructose not the corn syrup.

Corn syrup’s sugar is primarily glucose, which our body burns as a source of
immediate energy, is stored in muscles and our liver for later use, and
releases insulin.

Fructose, on the other hand, does not release or stimulate insulin. Insulin
is a naturally occurring hormone that helps to metabolize our foods by
pushing carbohydrates into our muscle cells to be used as energy, and allows
carbohydrates to be stores in our liver for later use. It also stimulates
production of another hormone, leptin, which helps to regulate our storage
of body fat and increases our metabolism when needed. These two hormones
keep our body fat regulated and tells us, for all intent purposes, when we
are satisfied and sends the message to our brain to stop eating.

Researchers at the University of Michigan found that men who consume very
high levels of fructose elevated their triglyceride level by 32 percent. As
trygliceride enters our blood stream, it makes our cells resistant to
insulin, making our body’s fat burning and storage system even more
sluggish.

So what can we do?

First, as always, read those labels! If you find that one of the first
ingredients on the label is ‘high fructose corn syrup,’ look to the
nutrition facts label and read how much sugar is actually in the food. If
there is 2-3 grams or less, there is less concern than those foods with
higher quantities. For those products, you may want to consider other
alternatives that don’t contain HFCS. If the ingredient label lists ‘sugar’
or ‘cane sugar’ the ingredient is made from sucrose, which is a 50/50 blend
of fructose and glucose, which has not been found to cause the same
problems.

You may be surprised to see just which foods contain HFCS: sodas you would
expect, but others like juices, candies, baked goods, cookies, syrups,
yogurts, soups, ketchup, breakfast cereals, soups and pasta sauces may
surprise you.

In 1966 per capita consumption of high fructose corn syrup was zero – in
2001 that rose to 62.6 pounds per person per year. We can win the fat war by
reading the labels and sending the message to food companies to make the
changes to help us eat better and lead healthier lives. What we buy (and
don’t buy) on the supermarket shelves is the most powerful communication.

http://wine.msn.com/