Dragaera

Teckla 2.0

Sat Feb 7 01:32:03 PST 2004

I recently reread "Teckla" for the first time since it originally came out
(I freely admit it is my least favorite of Mr. Brust's works), and I found
that it was quite a different book than I remembered.

I though the book was advocating "Vlad good, Kelly bad", but upon rereading,
I think I got it backwards.  If this was obvious to everyone else, well, it
wouldn't be the first time...

Kelly is portrayed as a fairly unoffensive character.  The worst thing he
does is chew out Cawti (well, unless you disagree with his entire ideology,
which I do).

The suprising thing I noticed on rereading was that Vlad appears, at times,
to be reduced to nothing but a Socratic foil: Kelly states a belief, and
Vlad reacts in a manner that, BY COMPARISON, makes Kelly's beliefs appear
reasonable (or at least more level-headed).  If you hadn't noticed, reread
the parts of "Teckla" that involve Vlad and Kelly talking to one another.
Kelly states a moral principle, and Vlad responds by... threatening him...
saying something sarcastic and off-point, or just plain dumb.

Compare and contrast his offer of gold to Sethra in "Taltos"... now _there_
was a brilliant, to-the-point use of sarcasm.  I guess the whole Cawti thing
had Vlad's wit distracted...

Incidentaly, Vlad's line to Sethra in "Taltos" is my 2nd favorite line in
all of Brust's books... my favorite being Morrolan's response to Paarfi's--I
mean, Fentor's--reluctance to get to the point in "The Lord of Castle
Black", page 196 of the hardcover:  'Morrolan groaned softly, clenched and
unclenched his fist, then said, very carefully...'  I swear to you, I was
groaning and clenching and unclenching my hand as I read that very line...

Bryan

...wait, that's NOT what I meant!