Dragaera

Cycle Progression

Wed Mar 17 12:23:14 PST 2004

--- Matthew Klahn <mklahn at mac.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2004, at 19:31 , Mark A Mandel wrote:
>
> While the poem does say basically this, I always
> envisioned the cycle
> as more:
>
> Phoenix (ascends, then descends) -- END OF CYCLE W,
> BEGINNING OF CYCLE X
> Dragon
> ... etc ...
> Athyra
> Phoenix (ascends, then descends) -- END OF CYCLE X,
> BEGINNING OF CYCLE Y
> Dragon
> ... etc ...

   I agree.  This is probably a clearer way of putting
it than anything I wrote.

> And, not to start a whole different argument, but
> since Kieron was a
> Dragon, wouldn't the cycle have started with Dragon
> at the top? Or was
> he not the first emperor? Is this mentioned
> anywhere?

   Yes, Zerika I was the first Empress.  Kieron never
became Emperor, though I remember some part of a book,
recently?, when the Gods say he almost broke the Cycle
by trying to become Emperor.  Since Dragon follows
Phoenix, I suppose this is more evidence that there is
a minimum time per reign.