Dragaera

Sethra Lavode

Sun Apr 4 19:13:27 PDT 2004

Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: Sethra Lavode

> >But nobody is going to walk past a book called _Jhereg_ and say "I've
always
> >wanted to read about that", unless he's already been sold on the series
or
> >author.   The title is meaningless to new readers.
> >

> Peeking out from my usual lurk, I have to chime in here and say that it
> definitely caught my attention when I first saw it years ago, as did the
> 'dragon' on the cover (this was before I came to the realization that a
> dragon on the cover, or the word 'dragon' in the title, virtually
> ensures that there will be no dragons in the book).  These are fantasy
> titles we're talking about--virtually -none- of them mean anything to
> new readers.
>
> Noah
> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
> not cease to be insipid." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

I agree, I recall picking up Jhereg after finishing some of Anne McCaffreys
Pern novels. Now, however, I am not as adventurous as I used to be. I have
read so much shody fiction over they years I tend to stick to the authors I
know until they become repetitive in their stories. And few enogh people
tend to share my tastes in reading that it is rare that someone will
recommend a book that I am interested in.