Dragaera

Minor SL spoiler--re: e'Barritt

Sat Apr 17 23:06:31 PDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 07:52:18PM -0400, Kenneth Gorelick <pulmon at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Chapter the eighty-fourth begins with the statement:
> >
> > We have not hitherto mentioned Kiraamoni e'Barritt...one of the truly
> > great military engineers of the age...
> >
> > I seem to remember Barritt dying during the time of the Vladiad, and
> > Morrolan telling Vlad that he had been such a great wizard that he had
> > been given the signal honor of having his descendants named after
> > him---e'Barritt.
> >
> > Since at the time of SL, Barritt is undoubtedly alive, how did
> > Kiraamoni get yclept e'Barritt?
>
> Paarfi is writing post-Barritt.

This bothered me too, but Baritt (think that's the spelling) generally
is hard to understand - where was he during the whole Paarfiad?  Perhaps
he'd done his best stuff before Tortaalik's reign and had already seen
four grandchildren declare that they trace their line to him.  I think
that would put him in his early 2ks by Vlad's time, so 8 greatgrandkids
would make sense too.