Dragaera

Witchcraft [SL spoilers]

charles_sumner at harvard.edu charles_sumner at harvard.edu
Tue May 4 10:59:30 PDT 2004

At 10:10 AM 5/4/2004 -0700, Kenneth Stone wrote:
>--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >

> > spoilers for TEoDM/SL
> >

> > The witchcraft forbidding seems to be rather ad hoc.
> >  Brimsford can't
> > operate and Arra can't See but Castle Black doesn't
> > fall, Morollan
> > and A can communicate psychically, and A can cast
> > spells.
>
>I agree with the Castle Black issue, but I assumed
>once Morollan distracted What's His Face that his
>influence was decreased, but a valid point.

Remembering that the whole point of Tri'ni's presence was his pact with
Kana, here are my thoughts...

1) Kana may have made a pact with Trini specifically to counter Brimford,
not all witchcraft.  In fact, other than Brimford, there weren't any
instances shown of witchcraft not working.  Blocking Arra's seeings may
have simply been a side effect of a Tri'ni's presence more than something
specific on his part.  Kana may not have even known that Arra had "sight"

2) A corollary to the above point, if Tri'ni had caused Castle Black to
fall, that might have eliminated Morrolan, but would certainly have alerted
Sethra & Co. much earlier to what was going on.  Overall, a bad thing for
Kana, who wanted to secretly counter as many of the weapons used against
him in book 2 as possible.

Charley

"We now agree there's no such thing as a safe glass freeze pop."
                         http://www.shardsoglass.com/