Dragaera

Culture (was Architecture question for Steve based upon theSun, the Moon &

Tue Oct 26 18:27:08 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net>
To: <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: Culture (was Architecture question for Steve based upon theSun,
the Moon &

> Steve Brust <skzb at dreamcafe.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:14, Scott Schultz wrote:
>
>>> The idea that we're somehow "above" Nature (i.e. the ecosystem and
>>> everything in it) is laughable. Heck, the idea that we're something
>>> special
>>> is equally laughable.
>>
>> I'm not certain how above, below, or to the side fits into this, except
>> that we ARE at the top of the food chain; a position I rather like.
>
> I'd have thought the *top* of the food chain would be the carrion
> eaters.  Or at least the obligate carnivores.

More like the centre of the food "net" {a much better metaphor for the
complexity of the web of the ecosystem}
Man has the ability but not the wisdom to restructure this web at will.
Man partitions his reality for understanding, survival, action,etc, this
skill is a core characteristic of "human nature".
The dichotomies of this tool, produces the paradoxes of human nature {in
individual and group cases}.

God/gods/devils/spirits are an artefact of partitioning, any thing that
'cannot/is not' understood is in the realm of god.
god realms are useful to solve/understand things {this is the  principal of
algebra},
Remapping of this is what the "Cultural" tool Science does, as more
principals of Nature{reality} are understood.
Other mappings produce different "Cultures" . The test of "Cultures" is
survival {at the indervidual, group and socity leveles}.
The ultimate test is of course the survival of humanity. {my egocentic view}

> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
> RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
> Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

Culture == a set of tool and techniques which can be passed  on.
Man  == all humans

Hi all

I have been reading this list for about a month.

Read Bust books when that come out,  they quickly became some of my
favourites.

Problem they are not widely published/distributed here in Australia
(Canberra)

Carl

http://cparkes.actewagl.net.au/