Dragaera

Today's cooking recipe for an article on Dragaeran life, culture, and art.

Mon Jan 17 08:33:00 PST 2005

>What flavors "produce a sting upon the back of the tongue?

I shouldn't think it would be a flavor so much as a reaction. If you've ever
eaten a really strong swiss or a very sharp cheddar then I think you'd
probably have an idea what Khaavren was describing. Notice that he
attributes this feeling to the cheese and not to the bread itself.

>When you grind peanuts too much, you get peanut butter.
>"rednuts that have been ground to a powder"  Does anyone
>know of a way to grind peanuts into a powder or know of
>a nut that would grind to a powder?

It's the oil in the peanuts (and most other nuts) that causes it to become
"nut butter". For rednuts to be ground to a powder they would have to
essentially be fat-free. As far as I know, most Terran nuts store fat as
part of their reason for existence (i.e., an energy source for a seedling).
I suppose a rednut could be something like an acorn, or it might be some
part of a rednut plant that isn't actually involved in the growing of new
plants. More of a "stone" than what we think of as a nut. Do soynuts contain
oil? Maybe it's something like soy...

A quick search of the web produced this info from alt.food.fat-free FAQ at
http://timinvermont.com/fitness/faq12.htm#58:
-----
5.8. Fat content of nuts

   Sad to say, but nuts are very high in fat.  Most nuts get between
   60 and 95%CFF. The ONLY exceptions are gingko nuts (13%CFF) and
   chestnuts (8%CFF).
-----

It's past the season now, but you could probably find some chestnuts around
if you tried. I'd imagine that grinding them in something like a pepper
grinder would produce the desired effect.

Scott Schultz
scott at cjhunter.com