Dragaera

nuclear terminology

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Feb 14 14:56:52 PST 2005

Jerry Friedman wrote:

> I got somebody mad at me on another list by arguing about physics
> without revealing that I have a Ph.D. in it and teach it (the guy
> felt ambushed), so consider it revealed.

In _The Way The Future Was_, Fredric Pohl told how he was in an academic
setting discussing something with other scholars of the emperor Tiberius.
When they disagreed about something, he pulled out an Encyclopedia
Britannica which agreed with Pohl.   The other distinguished scholar ceded
the point without noticing the author of that article's initials:  "FP".

Now you know the rest of the story.