Dragaera

Kiera, Verra, and divine motivations

Tue Mar 8 12:51:47 PST 2005

>...So, Verra tells Sethra to give Vlad the blood, but didn't explain why,
>only saying that it was important.  [Kiera] then gives the blood to Vlad,
>in an exchange of favors, with the excuse that it was dangerous for her
>to have it just then...

Spot on. Additionally, in the passage in Taltos where Vlad describes
receiving the vial he says that he had the impression that Kiera was making
the whole thing up off the top of her head, implication being that she
created a favor he could do her in return in order to make him feel better
about the favor she was doing him. (As I recall, the idea wasn't so much
that it was "dangerous" as it was "hot".)

In reality, she probably WAS making it up off the top of her head but it
wasn't really for the reasons he assumed at the time.

I guess it pays to be the high priest of a powerful goddess when you venture
into their domains uninvited. Interesting thought problem - How big a hand
has Verra had in arranging for Vlad to acquire the sorts of friends he has?
Why does she (as she baldly states) watch over Vlad and his family? Is it
her general soft spot for Easterners or is there something special about
Vlad's family line that deserves her especial attention? Certainly, Morollan
has benefited from his association with Vlad and that alone might justify
The Demon Goddess manipulating Vlad into his circle of influence.