Dragaera

Sethra and Morrolan

Fri Apr 8 20:05:20 PDT 2005

Some Orca and Issola spoilers here...

This doesn't exactly answer your original question, but is more focused
on the question, "Is Sethra subject to the desires of the flesh at
all?"  In fact, it doesn't answer anything at all, and actually just
poses more questions.  My idea of an 'ideal' reply. :-)

I can't help but recall the scene with Vlad and Kiera in Jhereg when
Kiera visits Vlad's office.  Kiera makes a remark that's something like,
"What will your people say, consorting with Kiera the Thief? They'll
think you've finally gone 'into the jungle' you know."  Vlad replies
with something like, "I'll just let it out that we've been lovers for
years." (Forgive me if I don't have the text exactly right, I'm doing
this from memory, because I'm exceedingly lazy tonite.)

I remember seeing this conversation alluded to in another thread
recently, but I don't remember many people commenting on (what was to
me) the  blatantly sexual enuendo here.  Now, I'm not beyond believing
that  Kiera's rep may just be another part of her manufactured disguise
as Kiera/Sethra, but then again, it does imply to me that, at least in
her role as a Jhereg, she is a sexual creature.

A counterpoint to this one, however, is the comment in Issola, about
becoming "part of the rock of Dzur Mountain again."  This tends to make
me think that Sethra may be something a little more than just your
average, undead, Dragaeran, and possibly wouldn't be enticed by the
flesh after all.

Steve Winfield wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>This is my first message ever, by the way.
>
>My question is this: what, exactly, IS the relationship between Sethra and Morrolan?  Are they in fact lovers, which has been hinted at in places throughout the books?
>Here are all of the hints that I can remember and find....
>
>1)Vlad and Kragar talking
>"Techincally, Dzur Mountain is part of his fief.  It's about fifty miles from where his castle usually is."
>"Interesting," I said.
>"I wonder how he collects taxes," said Loiosh
>(Taltos, p. 6)
>
>Here's one from the scene you guys just been talking about.
>2)Another turn of the stairs.  "How much farther up are we going, Lord Morrolan?"
>"Not far, I think.  Are you getting tired?"
>"A bit, but never mind."  He'd said "I think."  I pondered that and said, "So, are you a regular visitor to this place?"
>"Oh, yes," he said.  "Sethra and I see each other often."
>That set me a pretty mystery, with which I was able to occupy myself for another turn or two of that endless stairway.
>(Taltos, p. 27)
>
>3)Vlad and Teldra
>"Oh."  Teldra smiled.  "Yes, that one is true."
>"Oh, to have been there to witness that conversation.  I don't suppose you went along?"
>"Hardly."
>"Did he ever say what happened?"
>"No.  But it can't have been anything too horrid; they've been friends ever since."
>"Oh yeah?  Does she pay him tribute?"
>"I don't know," said Teldra, smiling.
>"I'll be sure to ask him...."
>(Issola, p. 138)
>
>And, of course, the most obvious hint....
>4)It suddenly flashed into my head to wonder if he and Sethra were currently or ever had been lovers.  Now that was an interesting thought, and one that would probably come back to me on many cold nights--...."
>(Issola, p. 140)
>
>Those are the ones that I can remember.
>Anyway, I'm guessing that the answer is yes, but it's wisely in a place where the author can still say yes or no, of course.
>My apologies if this topic has already been discussed. Any thoughts?
>
>--Steve

Life, thy name is Irony ...Or, something like that.