Dragaera

[SKZB] Great Cycles [was Reborn Phoenix]

Fri Apr 29 07:38:09 PDT 2005

Of course, as it was the end of the *first* Great Cycle, it's possible that
most people thought it wouldn't be significantly different from a regular
turn of the Cycle; except for some powerful seers that may have managed to
cut through the "fog" that the disaster probably caused in their
visions.  One could easily imagine some doomsday cults having cropped up,
thinking that the end of the 17th Cycle would be the end of Dragerea
(which, of course, was almost true), but that they would be ignored by the
"sensible" masses.

By the time that the 2nd Great Cycle ends, the empire will presumably be
better prepared for something cataclysmic to happen.  Which simply means
that whatever actually does happen will come from a completely unexpected
source, ensuring that their planning was for naught (or perhaps that some
misguided preparations for a disaster are what lead to another
disaster).  Of course, there aren't many people besides Sethra who would
expect to live through more than a couple of Cycles, let alone a Great
Cycle, so it's possible that the people at the end of the 2nd Great Cycle
won't think it's that big of a deal, just as we aren't as worried about
possible epidemics as we could be if we look back at what happened during
the Black Plague.

Continuing this out to the ridiculous future, one imagines that the end of
the first Great Great Cycle (17th Great Cycle / 289th Cycle) will be really
bad end-of-the-world type stuff.

Charley