Dragaera

Hmmmmm

Wed Oct 19 07:06:04 PDT 2005

Matthew Walsh wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2005, at 7:12 AM, Steven Hall wrote:
>
>> "Consider those you know of who were once your family, and those who
>> mattered to you in a time too faded in the mist for you to imagine,
>> much less remember. Kieron is now, and remains in the Paths of the
>> Dead awaiting his moment. I, who had some importance in the tribe, am
>> here, watching the Great Weapons, observing the Jenoine, listening to
>> the gods, and trying to see that nothing upsets the balance."
>>
>> It also seems that Sethra might have been in the Tribe of the Dragon,
>> even though in Taltos Morrolan says Sethra went over Deathgate as a
>> Dzur. *shrug*
>

> Well, we do know that  it's possible to join the House of the Dzur by
> defeating 17 heroes in single combat, right?  So maybe Sethra's
> genetically a Dragon but chose Dzur-dom.  (Hm.  Is "dual citizenship"
> -- membership in multiple Houses -- possible?  Mellar specifically
> renounced his membership in the Dzur when he returned to the Jhereg,
> IIRC, and the Jhereg are sort of a special case in any event.  Vlad's
> reaction in Taltos -- "I thought she was a Dragon" -- suggests
> otherwise, but this could be one of those things that people don't
> talk about... at least, not to Vlad.)
>
> If there is no dual citizenship, why might Sethra have left the
> Dragons?  The Lavodes' meeting in Chapter 30, FHYA might offer a clue
> to that; one of them (Roila?) mentioned that many of the corps chose
> to join the Lavodes as a way to avoid (or escape from) conflicts
> between duty and loyalty/friendship, right?  Possibly that's a
> tradition that started with their Captain, who left her very House as
> the only escape from an unwelcome conflict...?

Mellar may not be the best example for determining the existence of dual
citizenship; he specifically renounced his  membership in the Dzur to
return to the Jhereg all as part of his plan to embarrass the house. If
he joins the Jhereg without renouncing citizenship, they may or may not
kick him out, but after he beats their 17 heroes, it's like he's
spitting in their face to say "I'm not a Dzur, I'm a Jhereg".

Sethra's been described as having physical characteristics of both
Dragons and Dzur, so she may be the exception, the half-breed that is
not only tolerated but welcomed (at least before her being undead banned
her from the court, before Zerika's reign). However, her going over the
Falls as a Dzur certainly suggests that as her "final" citizenship...

Jose

--
Jose Marquez             | There are 10 types of people in
jhereg69 at earthlink.net   | the world: those who understand