Dragaera

How will House Phoenix arise from the ashes?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:49:04 PST 2005

On 12/21/05, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> Peter H. Granzeau wrote:
>
> > You know, Kragar, as I remember, done TOLE Vlad why he was a Jhereg,
> > not a Dragon, and it didn't involve a single instance of the word
> > "perhaps".
> >
> ...which conveniently ignores the fact that Vlad on several occasions
> later begins to suspect that Kragar might be lying (or at least not
> giving him the whole story), and that Vlad says as much to the reader.
>
> Who's more reliable? Or perhaps a better way to put it would be, "Who's
> more un-reliable?"

More to the point, *every* *single* major character that SKZB has
portrayed in the Dragaera stories has been shown to be unreliable for
one reason or another - outright and blatant lying; poor memory; lack
of comprehension of some complicated situation; having a personal
interest that they don't wish to disclose (or other hidden
motivation); not being in the mood to discuss something in full
detail; assuming a fact from erroneous observations; assuming that
someone already knows the facts; generalizing from one example; or
just making a mistake of major or minor proportions.  And various
combinations of those reasons, and probably other reasons as well,
which I left off because I couldn't think of them right now.

Thus, there's always room for speculation.  Therefore, some of us speculate.