Dragaera

Unreliable Narrators *Involves Discussion of BP*

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:06:34 PST 2005

On 12/21/05, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> >More to the point, *every* *single* major character that SKZB has
> >portrayed in the Dragaera stories has been shown to be unreliable for
> >one reason or another - outright and blatant lying; poor memory; lack
> >

> While this is certainly true of the stories narrated by Vlad and Paarfi,
> I find it's less true for "Brokedown Palace".
>
> Miklos certainly seems to be pretty reliable, anyway.

I think it is possible to argue that Miklos is good-hearted and
honest, but nevertheless not entirely reliable, although not from
malice (and I think he would be honest about his being unreliable).  A
strong hint in this direction is the bit about everyone hearing
something different when Bolk speaks - emphasizing that different
people have different biases and filters that alter understanding.
And there's also that Miklos doesn't have all of the facts. I suspect
that if he is indeed the narrator of BP, he is writing about some
events which happened very differently from his descriptions.

And regarding the folktales, by the way:

"The land has changed; I have changed; the world has changed.  All
things become what they were not, and I am no different.  I remember
Fenarr, if that is what you mean; but my memory differs from the
legends, and I am not certain that the legends are not more accurate."

> But then, BP is an enigma in the Dragaeraverse in many ways.

This is true.  What the hell is up with the demons that gibber and
squeak, anyway?