Dragaera

Concerning Plurality

Mon Dec 26 18:52:54 PST 2005

Mark A. Mandel wrote:

>Ah. What dictionary? I will check my sources.

>Lewis & Short have "localis" only as the adjectival form of "locus": that
>is, meaning 'local', just what it looks like (and is the etymon of).
>
>I don't know if L&S is on the Web. It's the Oxford Press classic; says
>here "Impression of 1966; first edition 1879." 2000pp or so, so I couldn't
>just reach over and grab it, I had to get out of my chair and get it with
>both hands. It's a hard life.
>
>I don't speak Latin, much -- I can if pushed to it -- but I did study it
>in h. s. and have stayed in touch with it all my life, so to speak, being
>a linguist (language scientist) by profession as well as avocation.
>
>-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
>   Orthoepist, & Philological Busybody
>   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel (of Cracks and Shards)

Hmm...

Upon further review, the online dictionary I consulted actually lists
the translation of Localis as "Local" (which I must have taken to mean
"localle" when I was reading it earlier) but actually is indeed the
adjective form of locus, just as you said.

I will have to correct this in the wiki immediately.

See? I told you I could be wrong. ;-)

As a friend of mine used to say: "Simia Estorquia Clavis Bonum"

Majikjon

Oh, incidentally, I've dramatically increased the font size on the
Terics Academy site, if you wanted to check it out.