Dragaera

The Magic Box

Thu Jan 5 09:00:54 PST 2006

> At the same time, I'm not sure I can conceive of Sethra being
> in any way
> shape or form interested in secretly being Paarfi... Not that there's
> anything not to like about Paarfi, understand, he just
> doesn't strike me
> as the type of person that Sethra would be willing to put with.
>
> Majikjon

Prefaces, forwards, etc... are, I believe, normally commissioned by
publishers rather than by authors. The "afterword" to _Sethra Lavode_ is
ostensibly written by someone who has met Paarfi and admires him.
(Pararectally, the description of Paarfi sounds a lot like a sardonic
description of Brust himself.) It's a rather big stretch for me to imagine
Sethra turning herself into a man and living Paarfi's apparently
semi-decadent life, including seducing one of his groupies...

Now, you can speculate that Paarfi is nothing more than a shill and that
Sethra does the actual writing (Think _Without A Clue_, the film whose
premise was that Watson was the actual detective and that "Holmes" was
actually an actor hired as a front man. Rather like _Remington Steele_, now
that I think about it.) but I think the textev at this point supports the
existence of an actual person answering to the name "Paarfi of Roundwood".