Dragaera

Not a witch?

Wed Jan 11 15:54:24 PST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> The Elder Sorcery is, perhaps, the most difficult branch of magic, at
> least until you try to throw them all together and tie them up in some
> object where you also keep your soul so you get to call yourself a
> "wizard", for whatever satisfaction that will bring you.
>
> [/cite]
>
> This seems to use "magic" in its most generic sense, which may or may
> not include witchcraft, but given that Vlad is the one making the quote,
> and he's *very* familiar with witchcraft and its status as a magical
> discipline, I'd say at least *he* thinks that a wizard would also be a
> witch.

Or he's speaking sloppily, which I find infinitely more likely.

Or he agrees with me that sorcery etc is actually tech and is using
"magic" in the standard Dragaeran sense, which excludes witchcraft
as Eastern.

The fact that M is highly unusual as a witch makes nonsense of the idea
that wizardry includes witchcraft.