Dragaera

Not a witch?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:53:21 PST 2006

On 1/11/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:

> As to this point, I would refer you to Issola, page 127:
>
> [cite]
>
> The Elder Sorcery is, perhaps, the most difficult branch of magic, at
> least until you try to throw them all together and tie them up in some
> object where you also keep your soul so you get to call yourself a
> "wizard", for whatever satisfaction that will bring you.
>
> [/cite]
>
> This seems to use "magic" in its most generic sense, which may or may
> not include witchcraft, but given that Vlad is the one making the quote,
> and he's *very* familiar with witchcraft and its status as a magical
> discipline, I'd say at least *he* thinks that a wizard would also be a
> witch.

Hmph.  Your argument appears to hinge on Vlad meaning by "all" *every*
other type of magic that there is, rather than "all of the standard
Dragaeran branches of magic".

The context in which he is saying it most certainly does not support
your interpretation.  He's thinking about Elder Sorcery, and how very
little he really knows about it despite having done something really
big and really incredibly stupid once, and the bit about wizardry is
something he tosses off as a brief, and slightly snarky, aside.

> Vlad, of course, may have stated the definition of "wizard" a bit
> glibly. (Ya' think?)

I nearly think that that is most certainly entirely the case.